Schooners Coastal Kitchen (372-2628) regularly wins our readers' poll for Best Drink With a View.
Apparently it wasn't content to rest on its laurels.
The Monterey Plaza Hotel's restaurant just completed a total patio revamp with slate tile floors, a new fire pit, updated lounge areas, a stylish awning and wall-mounted heat lamps.
JANUS et Cie handled the refreshed furnishings, including surfboard counter tables and white Caravita umbrellas.
By the end of the month, the patio will be surrounded by new glass railings, making it easier to enjoy the view without the wind.
Live music continues every Wednesday night this summer from 5-8pm with Vince Naccarato.
More food news items appear below:
• Bakai Wine + Tapas Bar (324-0590) reopens quietly at 420 Tyler St. Thursday, July 20, with the official opening another week out. The rebirth will include live music Saturdays and more local wines to combine with the prodigious pan-Latin wine list.
• A new Sicilian restaurant is coming to Oldtown Salinas on Gabilan east of Main Street. It could open as soon as mid-August. More details soon.
• Carmel Honey Company is opening a new retail and tasting bar on the bottom floor of Carmel Plaza, across from The Cheese Shop.
• Salinas Valley Food & Wine's first event is already around the corner (Aug. 4) with the main event Saturday, Aug. 12, salinasvalleyfoodandwine.com.
• Portobello's relocation to the Taylor Farms building in Oldtown Salinas will include an expansive 5,000 square feet, and on top of the lunch and dinner menu it will also feature beer, wine and a full bar, as well as a large outdoor patio. The opening is scheduled for early August.
• Celeb chef Curtis Stone is bringing the TV show Moveable Feast with Fine Cooking to Carmel at some point. I'm hoping for a showdown with Michael Jones of A Moveable Feast.
• Esalen will resume public workshops (and its incredible food) beginning July 28.
• Firestone Walker Brewery does a "rare beer extravaganza" at Cannery Row Brewing Company 5pm midnight Friday, July 21 (no cover, 643-2722).
• Los Amigos (646-8888) in P.G. dishes a free grilled artichoke with the purchase of a bucket of beer 5-7pm weekdays.
• The Best of Monterey Bay Visitors Guide Expo happens Thursday, Aug. 3, at The Press Club (901-3900) in Seaside.
• Hellam's Tabacco Shop (373-2816) in downtown Monterey has put in its permit for wine tasting. New tables and chairs for the new lounge area arrive this week.
• Dinner for Dance Kids fundraiser at Cibo Ristorante Italiano (649-8151) includes a performance by award-winning Dance Company from the Carmel Academy of Performing Arts on Thursday, July 20. All night, 20 percent of proceeds go to to Dance Kids of Monterey County (dancekids.org) if you mention them.
• Third Fridays at Chamisal's Courtside Bistro (484-6000) off Laureles Grade means complimentary wine tasting, appetizers and live music 6-8pm.