Congress, 17th District
Vote for 1
Thursday, October 29, 1998
1. Name, occupation, number of years in the district. How much do you plan to raise and spend? Who's endorsing you?
2. What, if anything, can Congress do to buffer the U.S. economy from economic upheaval abroad?
3. What is the best U.S. response to incidents of terrorism, like the embassy bombings in Africa?
4. What kind of evidence would you need to see in order to impeach a sitting president?
5. Would you vote for any form of school voucher? Under what circumstances?
6. Why are you the best candidate for this job?
Sam Farr, Democrat
50 years in the district
2. Raise/spend approximately $275,000-300,000. Endorsements include: CA Organization of Police & Sheriffs, CA Federation of Teachers, CA League of Conservation Voters, CA Labor Federation, Sierra Club
3. A multinational strategy to assist global financial institutions-like the IMF-is the best policy to avoid economic upheaval in our own country. By making sure the rest of the world economy is stable, we ensure our own stability.
4. We must always be mindful that anti-American sentiments do exist. Our country's leaders must deal with terrorists in a pro-active & forceful manner. Diplomacy is best, but military action should be used where appropriate.
5. The Constitution requires that evidence must prove abuse of presidential power; it must rise to a level of gross subversion of governmental functions & perversion of government powers. There must be such "high crimes" that Congress is forced to literally undo the will of the American people.
7. I bring 22 years of experience, proven results, leadership & dedication to public service to this position. I would appreciate your vote to continue our Central Coast quality of life. Thank you.
Rick Garrett, Libertarian
10 years in District
2. Will spend approximately $500 of my own money. Endorsements: Own party
3. Deregulate. We have the best trained & most motivated work force in the world. We have innovative & aggressive businesses ready to exploit every opportunity. There have always been & will always be business or economic cycles, these can be dealt with. Government regulation on the other hand strangles businesses.
4. We have made ourselves lightning rods the world over by our insistence on being the world's police. I would not rule out military responses to acts of terrorism, but it is obvious that taking a lower profile among the nations would lessen other's animosity towards us.
5. The kind of evidence that is used every day by prosecutors to convict persons of felonious crimes; enough circumstantial evidence warrants a conviction & a felon cannot be President of the United States.
6. No reform of the public school system will ever succeed until this monopoly has real competition. This will only come about when large numbers of students & their parents can afford an alternative. A voucher system is the only thing that will give them that choice.
7. I have actual experience successfully building a business, which demands skills that most career politicians lack, such as conflict resolution, planning, motivating & negotiating. Politicians only have to win elections, which has become an expensive personality contest.
Scott Hartley, Natural Law Party
5 years in District
2. Spend $1,000 of personal funds. Will not raise any money.
3. For many years now we've promoted a global trading economy with U.S. domination to benefit Fortune 500 companies & international currency speculators, who also pay for political campaigns. It must be redesigned with more humanity, less greed & corruption, to secure a stable, sustainable prosperity.
4. First, don't create enemies, as we do with our aggressive military-based foreign policy, largely designed by big oil companies who fund political campaigns. Second, don't arm our enemies, as we do, being by far the world's number one vendor of deadly weapons.
5. Like a grand jury proceeding, clear & convincing evidence should send him for trial by the Senate. Frankly, this case raises my spirits. It says that America's moral consciousness is rising to disavow the long-standing dark assumption that you must lie to govern here.
6. I would, if the specific proposal convinced me that it would serve to revitalize, not erode the quality of education for all our children.
7. Vision & independence make me the best candidate to represent this district. I'm the first to acknowledge that taking private campaign contributions inevitably creates a conflict of interest. This is a crime against democracy, not a free speech issue. Vote to end it.
Bill McCampbell, Republican
Own two businesses, run a nonprofit.
2. Raise/Spend $100,000
3. Keep our own economic house in order. Cut the size of government. Stop using Social Security funds for government spending. Cut over-regulation of small business.
4. Respond to terrorism only when there is a factual basis for retaliation.
5. Evidence to charge (impeach) should be clear & convincing with all due process safeguards.
6. Public education must be financially secure before there is a discussion of vouchers.
7. 8 Great Reasons to vote for me: Protection of the environment, a child care program for working mothers, full-scale election reform, reduce government size, introduce single tax system, abortion stays legal, stop using Social Security for government spending, Medicare: choose own doctor.