Recent forays into the cetacean underground.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Whales in Monterey Bay
Aug. 21, 2010 / Shot by Kate Spencer
- Daniel Bianchetta's Whale Galleries
- Jodi Frediani's Ocean Animals Galleries
- Alison Barratt's Flickr Photostream
- More Than a Fluke: Big lessons from schooling with the whales in Monterey Bay.
- Aug 26, 2010 by Kate Spencer
- One father of three from France said, “For you, this is everyday. For us, it is magic.” A woman ... been on the ocean before. Once she saw three blue whales, she was near tears with joy: “They're so huge. I' ... t cruise on Monterey Bay's whale watch fleet. Blue whales and humpbacks summer here every year, but this sea ... krill bloom has brought a consistent group of blue whales feeding close to our shore. Widespread publicity h ... ists for Monterey Bay Whale Watch (375-4650, www.gowhales.com) with Nancy Black, I've witnessed the delight ...
- Totally Kriller: Whales are still huge in Monterey Bay.
- Aug 19, 2010 by Kera Abraham
- The seas were calm and the whales were cruisin' on a recent Thursday morning trip with Monterey ...
- Just Krilling Time: Gray whales are lingering past season in Monterey Bay.
- Jul 8, 2010 by Kera Abraham
- The solitary gray whale swam up to the boat, opened its mouth and dove through a rust-colored cl ... krill has drawn an abundance of humpbacks and blue whales. Skipper Harry Neece of Monterey-based Chris' Whal ...
- Anti-Whaling Win?: Proposal to resume commercial whaling stalls out.
- Jun 24, 2010 by Kera Abraham
- An attempt to resume legal commercial whaling hit a brick wall at the International Whaling Comm ... ries of Japan, Iceland and Norway continue to kill whales despite the ban - and sell the lucrative meat - un ...
- A Whale of a Protest: New “compromise’’ puts the species in greater jeopardy.
- May 6, 2010 by Sue Arnold
- Given the state of California's economy, any loss of gray whale tourism will impact many coastal ... national Whaling Commission will, if accepted, put whales and the whale-watching industry under great pressu ... proposal incorporates a 10-year kill quota of 140 whales annually, allocated to the Russian Federation and ... g the population, and some scientists believe gray whales will likely be the first baleen whale casualty. As ... leases. Given the current low calf counts, skinny whales and increasing evidence of global warming impacts, ...
- Big Blowback: Local gray whale conservationists protest international hunting compromise.
- Apr 22, 2010 by Kera Abraham
- On Earth Day, April 22, the International Whaling Commission will receive a draft proposal to ov ... ETING IN THIS AREA HAS ALWAYS BEEN AROUND THE GRAY WHALES.” “Our group is trying to get [National Oceanic an ... ters to continue killing about 124 California gray whales per year, he says. But the annual take can be redu ... average a 95 to 98 percent sighting rate for gray whales during the Central Coast migration from December t ... eting in this area has always been around the gray whales.” Coalition CEO Sue Arnold says climate change is ...