Cannery Row Lures Locals With a Slew of Discounts
December 30, 2011
Find me someone who likes spending half their evening budget on parking meters and I'll find you an ugly otter.
Even so, the fact that locals flashing ID with a "939" zip—which accounts for most of the county—get free parking in Cannery Row garages after 4pm is still one of the better-kept secrets by the bay.
The helpful locals-only hookups proliferate past the parking.
MYO Yogurt (375-3769), the do-it-yourself frozen yogurt shop, offers a 20 percent discount to locals every day. The C Restaurant + Bar at The InterContinental (375-4500) drops a 10 percent discount on locals, in addition to a solid happy hour 4-7pm Sunday-Thursday—plus complimentary valet parking when dining. The spa’s 10 percent off for locals too.
More businesses slice a tenth off the top for us homers, including La Dolce Vita Home & Garden Ideas (647-0009), Sand to Glass (372-1209), Cannery Row Brewing Company (643-2722), Louie Linguini's (648-8500) and Monterey Mirror Maze & Lazer Challenge (649-6293) among them.
Other promotions worth a peek:
• Archie's American Diner (375-6939) has a 15 percent local discount.
• Blazing Saddles (776-9577) offers $5 off the daily rental rate to locals.
• El Mariachi Restaurante y Cantina (324-4953) gives 15 percent off entrees, Monday through Friday.
• The Fish Hopper (372-8543) offers a three-course "Monterey Local's Special" menu for $14.95.
• At Sardine Factory (373-3775), the Steinbeck Platter’s rush of abalone bisque, salmon fillet and vegetables runs $21.95 for locals 5-6pm.
In short, somebody warn the tourists. We're taking back Cannery Row.