Gonzales Whiskey and Other Epicurean Notes You Should Know
October 13, 2011
At least one guy has got society snookered.
Drinking Made Easy host Zane Lamprey is running around drinking for a living.
He recently discovered what some of us already knew during an episode that airs on HDNet (www.hd.net) 8pm Wednesday, Oct. 19: Fog’s End Distillery of Gonzales (809-5941) makes clear, unaged whiskey that’s pretty damn smooth.
Or as owner Craig Pakish likes to say, "Everything in moderation except excellence."
"At Fog's End Distillery," he announces on the label, "I employ the no-cook, traditional sour-mash whiskey method and a copper pot still to produce my 'White Dog.' This process produces flavors that are more natural, resembling the flavor of the rye grain itself."
I know my bottle didn't linger in the back of the bar untouched. The rye is worth a try.
Lamprey and crew also rolled over to Lallapalooza Restaurant (645-9036) for a "Treesmacker" cocktail, and by Restaurant 1833 (643-1833) to dip into some fiery absinthe with GM Tobias Peach.
Lamprey also hit Cannery Row Brewing Company (643-2722) for a Tipsy Seagull pint and took a tour of Pisoni Vineyard (675-7500) that was as wild and hairy as it was tasty.
Other of-the-moment morsels to chew on:
• Pebble's Club XIX goes dodo Saturday, Oct. 15. Tough to see, given its lore and all the talents it shepherded (and shepherded it), from Jeffrey Jake to Pierre Bain. RIP XIX.
• Chapala is ciao in Oldtown Salinas. The good news: A reliable source says it's being completely remodeled as a spot called Casa del Sazon.
• Diggitty’s Hot Dogs & Ice Cream (663-6100) will be celebrating its existence, with Nathan’s dogs and sausages, LeBoulanger buns, a big condiment bar and soft-serve ice cream by way of an open house 11am-1pm Saturday, Oct. 15, at the PruneTree Shopping Center.
• Maybe the most entertaining place to eat 'n' drink a la pooch, Cypress Inn (624-3871), now has a new cocktail menu inspired by Hollywood legends in Terry’s Lounge starting Friday, Oct. 14. Think classics like the Manhattan and Sidecar and “lesser known starlets” like the Widow’s Kiss and Clover Club.
• Johnny Rockets opens beneath Blue Fin Billiards on Cannery Row Thursday, Oct. 20. Ribbon-cutting, minishakes, sliders and music from the Archies’ Ron Dante 5-7pm.
• Monterey Bay Restaurant Week is almost upon us (Oct. 20-27). Tap into www.montereybayrestaurantweek.com for a list of places participating with prix fixe meals.