Much To Do at the Last Indy Marketplace
February 6, 2013
The last dance. The final final. The ultimate freakout.
The Independent Marketplace in Sand City rose like a farm-fresh phoenix from the unfinished cement space in the bottom floor of the mixed use building originally known as the Art Center a year ago, capturing imaginations and appetites with its unprecedented combination of local organic farmers, pickle purveyors, wineries, artisans, artists and elaborate dancers.
Now it’s kaput.
OK, not entirely. Come Friday, construction begins on the new venue.
Here’s what the organizers are highlighting heading into one, last, sweet love affair 4-9pm Thursday, Feb. 7:
• Verve Coffee's award-winning brew made with consciously-sourced beans from the far side of the Bay is on display. Using an antique German-made Probat UG 15 roaster, these guys kick it old school while still maintaining a fresh outlook on beanery.
• Manresa Bakery Chef/baking guru David Kinch employs European traditions and refinement to sweet and savory ends. This will be Manresa’s first foray into Indy Marketplace territory.
• Carmel Valley Ranch's Chef Tim Wood keeps his focus squarely on the local seafood and produce found right in his backyard, creating family-styled meals that ooze simplicity and sophistication.
• The pyro maniacs from Celsius Maximus Fire Show will light up the Sand City sky with three live fire performances in the plaza.
• One Billion Rising will stage a practice flash mob session in the Independent Gallery in preparation for their Feb. 14 performance aimed at illuminating the problems stemming from domestic violence.
• DJ Lucho and DJ Sparkinzi will be on the ones and twos accompanied by yoga/dance jam demos and rafter-hanging aerialists.
• Be sure to capture this final Indy-fest occasion with a trip to the Polaroid Photo Booth of Love after being done up by the pros at Oya Salon and Brazilian Waxing. Seriously.
• All of this, plus the usual farm-to-table and truck-to-belly fare that’s become staple at this monthly localvore freak-fest.