- 209 Mil: total cost of the Prunedale Improvement Project, which will eliminate left turns across 9 miles of Highway 101. The first interchange, an overpass to Prunedale’s Blackie and Reese roads, open
- An underground running group builds in creative motivators, like beer.
- Anticipating inmate surge, county considers regional approach to housing them.
- As county braces for thousands of soon-to-be insured, illegal immigrants remain uncovered.
- Body and Soul: Jacques Audiard tells another beautiful story about pain in Rust and Bone.
- Del Toro-backed horror flick Mama offers infantile frights.
- For all his flaws, Chuck Hagel as Secretary of Defense might be a smart move.
- Free Will Astrology
- Genetically modified super salmon tries to swim through a hole in the regulatory net.
- How J.R. Martinez beat crippling injury, slimmed down and won Dancing With the Stars.
- How one retiree helps the Salinas Police – and learns about people’s reactions to the law.
- Incredible sustainable sushi and more hopes for a healthier food system.
- Issue Jan 17, 2013
- Jaimal Yogis’ The Fear Project takes a swim with our most primal emotions.
- Lily Tomlin has obliterated obstacles at every turn in her famed career.
- Local naturopath promotes a GAPS diet based on fermented vegetables, homemade yogurt and gobs of animal fat.
- Monterey County’s medical centers reinterpret the lesson that food is medicine.
- Our absolutely brilliant picks help prepare viewers as Oscar night looms.
- Rare but revolutionary ways to better well-being, from turkey-foot broth to beer jogs.
- Real Estate
- Salinas-to-San-Jose rail project gets stuck in red tape, pisses off property owners.
- Scientists find a new way to trace manganese contamination in Salinas Valley.
- That would be one way to read Republican actions.
- Tim Presley pumps out music at an extraordinary rate with his neo-psych solo act White Fence.
- Two folk musicians of different generations unite for an intimate indoor show at Henry Miller in Big Sur.