Joyce Winery, along with Alvarado Street Brewery, is helping transform an unlikely strip of warehouses in industrial Salinas into a taste destination, as I reported last month with "Monterey County’s surprise new wine tasting spots."
A look at photos of the new Joyce space, which also hosts production of the wines (and Albatross Ridge's), appears here.
The breakout debut party at 1341 Dayton St., Unit G (754-8774), with Alvarado craft brew on tap to go with the wine and golf carts traveling between the two spots happens 1:30-5pm Saturday, July 16.
Santa Cruz-based food truck Holopono (specializing in Hawaiian pupus, poke and plate lunches) and the Chef Mark Jones of Tasty Solutions (on the pull-behind barbecue) will do the food.
A band will play from the back of Joyce Vineyards’ semi truck, and barrel tastings and more will furnish the wine element ($40 for all you can eat and three glasses of wine; free for wine club members).
More food news nibbles here:
• July 22-23 is a beer dinner ($85) with PigWizard, Firestone Walker Brewing, and Forage to Pantry at Osio Theater. That's a nice combo. Think blistered pork belly with Nitro DBA and all sorts of other pairings, followed by movies. More on the PigWizard, Forage to Pantry, & Firestone Walker Pop Up Dinner + Market Eventbrite.
• All new and locally owned Jack's Coffee (272-6889) is now open 5am-4pm weekdays and 6am-2pm Saturday in the cute little mini cabin in the parking lot next to Zeph's One-Stop on South Main in Salinas with America's Best Coffee, Dr. Smoothies and Mighty Leaf Teas.
• Longtime colleague and longer time good duder Stuart Thornton hosts Get Covered! Concert and Fundraiser Thursday, July 21, at the Henry Miller Library with local music acts including Strange Ideas, Jordan Smart, Burnt Palms, The Silhouette Era, Keith Bruecker, Huddy Bali, Magnus Toren, Mike Scutari, El Camino Sutra, Michael Green and more doing unique sets of songs covering numbers by departed heroes Prince, David Bowie and Motorhead. The event benefits area homeless, and anyone who loves great music. Bring a hat to donate.
• Tried the schnitzel sandwich at brand new Nuernberger's German Sausages (717-4168) at 398 E. Franklin St. in Monterey. Yum. Photos and menu peek on the blog soon.
• Sebastian’s (394-3321) is officially open in the former Best Western at the end of Canyon Del Rey on the Monterey-Seaside border. The restaurant, like the bigger hotel, is now remade boutique-style by swanky resort masterminds Joie De Vivre, into Monterey Tides. Look for menus and photos on the blog tomorrow.
• Eight finalists have earned a spot in the Gilroy Garlic Fest amateur cookoff finals Saturday, July 30, 2016 with things like garlic goat cheese bacon soufflé with creamy garlic mustard sauce and garlic risotto stuffed mussels with garlic herb toast.
• Sunday, July 17, new music at The Wine Experience on Cannery Row (324-4974) continues 3-6pm with John Sherry (ask for his Game of Thrones theme). Then Johan Sotelo on July 24 and Sherry again on July 31.
• Italian Music Night at Gusto in Seaside (899-5825, firstname.lastname@example.org) 6pm Tuesday, July 26, will sell out quickly because $40++ for five courses and four live performers is a deal.
• One of the more classic bacon cheeseburgers ($5.25) remains rock solid at the El Estero Snack Bar (372-7446) next to Dennis the Menace Park. Great fries too. The deep-fried bean-and-beef burrito ($3) beckons next for the brave.
• 6pm Wednesday, July 20, flows a "Hello Wine!" tasting primer at Casanova Restaurant in Carmel ($25, 625-0501) with advanced level sommelier/bev director Jeff Birkemeier.
• Very cool to see MEarth's school kitchen-garden pull off an all-student-run restaurant dinner with assists from Chefs James Anderson (Poke Lab) and Eden Hutchinson (Carmel Belle). Also neat to see peeps like Alan Lovewell (Real Good Fish), Shiho and Miki Fukushima (Ocean Sushi Deli), Ben Spungin (Sierra Mar at Post Ranch Inn), Yulanda Santos (Aubergine) and John Gehrman (La Bicyclette) get in on the Grow.Cook.Eat "culinary bootcamp." www.mearthcarmel.org for more.