I voted to impeach the president of the United States. As your U.S. Representative, I did not run for office to take such a vote. However, I swore an oath to protect our country and defend the Constitution. My vote reflects that obligation and demonstrates my responsibility to the people I serve.

Prior to such a significant vote, deep deliberation and serious consideration of the facts and our laws were necessary to arrive at that solemn conclusion. I determined the facts by reading the reports, listening to witnesses and speaking to colleagues of the House Committees on Judiciary, Intelligence, and my committee, Ways and Means.

I followed the law by reading the Constitution, speaking to past and present members of Congress who served during the impeachment process started against Richard Nixon and the impeachment of Bill Clinton, and civilly discussing this case with my colleagues on both sides of the aisle.

I did my best to put politics and emotions aside. As much as I disagree with this president and his policies – to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement, dismantle environmental protections, take away health care for those with preexisting conditions, separate families at the border and deport Dreamers, to name a few – those unreasonable and unwise policies were not the underlying basis for the articles of impeachment. The “high crimes and misdemeanors” alleged focused solely on the president’s involvement with Ukraine and whether he abused his power and obstructed Congress.

I then applied the facts to the articles of impeachment. By withholding $391 million in military aid and a coveted meeting in the Oval Office from the newly elected Ukrainian president for an announcement of investigations into Ukraine’s role in our 2016 election and Joe Biden, the Democratic frontrunner in the 2020 election, it is easy to conclude that the president subverted our national interests for his personal and political interests. That is exactly the type of interference in our democracy that our Founding Fathers strove to prevent. The president sought such intervention and that is why he abused the power of the presidency.

Furthermore, the president obstructed Congress by refusing numerous requests and subpoenas during the impeachment inquiry. By preventing and, even intimidating, important witnesses from appearing, this administration acted in direct defiance of the constitutionally mandated authority of Congressional oversight.

The Weekly is powered by the generosity of readers like you, who support our mission to produce engaging, independent and in-depth journalism.

Show Your Support
Learn More

The evidence that proved the case for impeachment was overwhelming. Moreover, we were compelled to address the president’s conduct, or it would condone this abuse of power for future administrations. Congress has held the president accountable for his actions and properly acted as a necessary check in our system of checks and balances.

I do not take pride in impeaching a sitting president of the United States. But I am proud to uphold my obligation under the Constitution and to protect the future of our democracy.

CONGRESSMAN JIMMY PANETTA, D-Carmel Valley, represents California’s 20th Congressional District, which includes Monterey County.

Become a Weekly Insider.

Join Us
Learn More

Recommended for you

(3) comments

Marilyn Galli

I am embarrassed that this man is my congressman. He lied about President Trump taking away pre-existing conditions when he said over and over that is keeping that benefit for the New healthcare plan. He lied about him separating families at the border while these children were being rented over and over to use them to get into this country. The parents from foreign countries where allowing their children to cross alone into the USA. Where was he when Obama caged up children in 2014? Panetta is creating fear that dreamers will all be deported, when President Trump said he is supporting dreamers by their merit in the USA. He has to rehabilitate himself because he voted on impeachment on our President.

Otis Needleman

Baloney, Jimmy. You, like nearly all the Democrats in Congress, put party over country. You all are still butthurt over losing in 2016. Well, got news for you. Not only will President Trump not be convicted, but he'll be re-elected.

And while we're at it, the Democrats keep saying "nobody is above the law". But why do the Democrats support "sanctuary cities" for illegal aliens? Are they above the law? Sure seems like it to me, and to most Americans.

Seriously, the Democrats make themselves look like complete fools more and more every day.

Marilyn Galli

Thank you Otis...This rehabilitation by Congressman Jimmy Panetta is pathetic. Mr. Panetta lied in his op-ed about pre-existing conditions, he lied about all dreamers being deported but what do you expect from a panetta who lives on compound in Carmel Valley with his father Leon Panetta who refused to rescue Americans in Benghazi in 2012.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.