It is a hallmark of the Pacific Grove Unified School District to educate its students about the rich history of the Monterey Bay. The John Steinbeck scrapbook project is a local tradition – photographing our eighth-grade selves in front of his literary landmarks felt like a rite of passage to full 831 citizenship. Even the flora and fauna native to our hometown was incorporated into lesson plans: everyone who had a PGUSD education understands the mortal threat birthday balloons pose to local wildlife. So when I asked myself why I was 22 years old when I learned about the Chinese fishing village, I came up empty-handed.

In the late 19th century, 500 Chinese people migrated from Point Lobos to Pacific Grove and formed the largest Chinese village the country had thus far seen. They were able to prosper in Pacific Grove because they started the commercial fishing industry that is still in operation today. Their success was met with violent racism from non-Chinese neighbors, and in 1906, their village burned to the ground. Since then, shards of porcelain dug up and stray informational signs are the only physical evidence that they were ever there.

My initial rationalization for this conspicuous lack in my schooling was that decades of racist journalism has pushed P.G. into amnesia. But that is untrue. Every summer, lanterns line the trees and porches of P.G. in preparation for the Feast of Lanterns, where that year’s most excellent young women are chosen to don confused takes on traditional Chinese garb. This sloppy imitation of Chinese culture began in 1905, the year before the fishing village and its authentic Chinese lanterns disappeared. It is a tradition that is inextricable with the forced expulsion of the Chinese community.

The Feast of Lanterns cannot be redeemed. There has been effort to recast it in a “medieval” theme, with princesses and princes that hail from a European tradition, but that has nothing to do with the heritage of Pacific Grove. Anti-Asian racism, on the other hand, is an integral element of our town’s creation.

The choice lies between continuing to distance ourselves from history by way of meaningless reform, or owning up to the past and understanding that this festival perpetuates racism. If we learned about the Chinese fishing village in school, and how the Feast of Lanterns picked up where actual Chinese people left off, our town would be hard pressed to justify the racism it re-commits every year as a spectacle and a diversion. The absence of education about Chinese history in Pacific Grove’s consciousness creates the ideal conditions for such flagrant racism to persist.

As a Chinese person who grew up in P.G., I am saddened that I was unaware of the ancestral ties I had to my hometown. The only connection I had to it was a sense of discomfort that would strike every summer. The Feast of Lanterns is made possible by sustained denial of the city’s racist past and present – by ignorance. We can continue to nurture our ignorance, ­or we can teach our youth about the reality of their town, and see what better ideas they come up with about how to celebrate its beauty and community.

You make our work happen.

The article you’re about to read is from our reporters doing their important work — investigating, researching, and writing their stories.

We want to provide informative and inspirational stories that connect you to the people, issues and opportunities within our community.

Journalism takes a lot of resources. Today, our business model has been interrupted by the pandemic; the vast majority of our advertisers’ businesses have been impacted. That’s why the Weekly is now turning to you for financial support. Learn more about our new Insider’s program here.

Thank you.

JOIN NOW

(2) comments

Deary Lane

Couldn't the Feast of Lanterns just be a time of 'celebration'? Are we so 'woke' that every event, holiday, undertaking has a deep, secret, albeit 'racist' meaning?

In the more than 40 years of participating in this happy week in PG and freezing watching the story of two star-crossed lovers - you know that story that we;ve witnessed for most, if not all, of our life? Why is this an insult to the Chinese?

I, for one, am baffled.

Ken Bahn

1. Cultural appropriation. In this instance a cultural element had been accepted but the people and the culture have been rejected or extirpated.

2. The existence of this festival AND small Chinese fisher people population indicate a passive attitude to bigotry.

3. Real question going forward: what culture do we want going forward? And if that culture is inclusive and generative, how do we enact that? Widening wealth gaps demand these issues be addressed - how do we share the abundance seemingly available to only some people? How do we convince others that sharing Is caring?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.